Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cake and Sunflowers

The day of your funeral (October 24th, your due date) was beautiful and sunny. Mommy woke up extra early to make you a giant birthday cake. It was pink, yellow, blue, purple, green, and every other cheerful color you can think of! I made it five tiers high to celebrate each of the 5 days and 5 nights you spent with us. I actually had to get up on a stool to decorate the very top of your cake, it was so tall! Lots of people bustled around me in the kitchen to warm soup, and water pretty flowers, and decorate cupcakes- all there to get ready for your celebration!
Mommy left for the cemetery with Grandma and Grandpa at 10:30 to put you in your pretty birthday dress. Grandma and Grandpa dressed you while I was sitting just outside the door. I hope you don't think that I didn't join them because I was scared or because I don't love you as much as they do...It's just that, next time I see you and hold you, it needs to be forever. Letting you go once was the hardest thing Mommy has ever had to do; and I knew I couldn't be that strong twice. I know that your Grandparents were very careful with your sweet body. I know that they held you close and rocked you and made sure you looked beautiful in your dress and bonnet. They wrapped you in the same pink knitted blankie that you snuggled in after you were born, and laid you in your little bed for burial. We put your casket in Mommy and Daddy's car and drove the short distance to your grave. (No way was I going to put you in a giant dark hurst...you never left my sight while you were alive, I didn't see why your death should be any different).
Your grave sits on top of a mountain, and looks over the valley where we live. That day, the mountains were covered in all the fall colors. The sky was clear blue. All the raindrops left over from Friday sparkled on the ground and in the trees when they mixed with the sunshine. We even covered your grave in bright yellow sunflowers. It was a perfect day. Lots of friends and family came to say goodbye to you. Your big sister mostly kissed all the little babies, and mixed up the flowers and toys from other graves. Bishop talked about Heavenly Father and Jesus, and how you live with them now. Special prayers were offered in gratitude that we were given so much time with you. Your Mommy's favorite song was sung by good friends, to remind us that death is not forever. The song talks about Mary at the tomb of Jesus. She is crying because his body is gone. Jesus, who is alive again in his body comes to her and asks "Woman, why weepest thou?" Why seekest thou the living among the dead? Know ye not that angels now surround thee?
After friends gave us lots of hugs and left, Daddy and Grandpa slowly and carefully lowered you back into your Mother Earth. They then took shovels and covered your tiny white coffin with soil....I'm very glad they could do that instead of strangers. At the end, both their pants were covered in dirt and shoes caked in mud. Mommy thinks that they looked very pretty and glowey afterwards, even though they were dirty.
We came home to a house full of people who love you. There were balloons and flowers and lots of treats! Everyone was laughing, and playing, and talking. We lit candles and sang happy birthday, and your cousin Jaime blew out the candles for you! It was a very sweet, perfect day. I wonder if you were able to get away for a moment, to take a peak. I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment