Thursday, October 15, 2009

An Angel's lesson in Charity

I've told you before that you are my little angel, and that you have taught me spiritual lessons in a way that I can understand. At the moment, I am in a hospital bed awaiting your arrival in the next two hours or so. I am so touched by all the people who love you, and have served you up to this point. There are friends all over the world who are going without food so that their prayers for you can feel stronger. Your grandmas have sewn special blankets and dresses for you, so that you can feel extra pretty on your birthday. Your name is on the prayer roles in all kinds of different churches, filled with people who believe as we do in a Heavenly Father who loves His children. There have even been friends who have offered humble prayers on your behalf to a God they are not so sure exists, but want to believe so much for your sake. People have practiced songs, named stars, given hugs, and written letters. Perhaps, most touching of all, have been when people have approached us with stories of their sorrows and sicknesses and triumphs. These stories make mommy cry...but they are good tears...it's because I love them.
It has been said that 'Charity' happens when we 'bare one anothers burdens, that they may be light. " I always thought that description of charity meant that when people help to bare our burdens, it makes them lighter for us. You have taught me that's not completely the way it works. When we bare the burdens and sadnesses of others, we learn to love them in a very special way- even strangers. We get a glimpse into the love that 'He who bares the Sorrows of us all' feels for the person we are serving. It is a perfect and careful pure love. When we feel it, we begin to 'see as we are seen' and to 'know as we are known', and we cannot help but understand that the intense love that God feels for another, He feels for me and you also. That understanding lightens my burdens, makes my yoke easy to bare.
I love you, my sweet angel girl. Having you inside my tummy makes me want to be a nicer person. Unkind thoughts and laziness seem unfitting while I house you, a beautiful heavenly being. I hope that will linger a little while when we are apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment