Friday, October 23, 2009

Tuesday, Your Heavenly Homecoming

Your friend Robin came over to visit at 3 AM. Sonya was awake, so she cuddled her and read her stories in her crib. She held you, and helped to dip your footprint in plaster, and then Sonya's, so that you and your sister can have a sweet reminder of being together. Sonya simply adores you, you know. She begs to hold you every few minutes. She constantly kisses you and strokes your little fuzzy head. She even tries to give you a pacifier, her most treasured possession. (Even now that you are gone, she puts her pacifier up to your lips in our family pictures).
Many more friends came to visit you today, and feel your angelic spirit. Karen, the special girl who took your picture in the hospital came to hold you for the first time. She said that meeting you was life-changing experience. I believe you have change the lives of hundreds of people. Our neighbors from across the street came to meet you and they were instantly in love, as are all those who had the privilege.
At 6:26 PM, we celebrated your 5th Birthday! It was an absolute miracle that you had been with us for so long. We invited over the Taylors and the Morgans to party with us, so you had lots of friends and babies singing to you. Mommy put a giant pink birthday bow on your head. Everyone held you with lots of hugs and kisses. Everything was so happy!
You died in Mommy's arms at 7:09 PM. Mommy was the only one who noticed, but I didn't say anything for a few moments because it was so peaceful and effortless. I like to imagine that you waited until Mommy and Daddy had friends close by...you didn't want us to be sad. In a way, I also think you didn't want to leave when you were the center of attention. Sonya kissed you bye-bye, and Daddy held me close as we cried. Your friends took turns coming into the room to tenderly hold your body and say goodbye.
Mommy held your little body so tight for 3 hours after you went to heaven. I couldn't let you go- I just couldn't let you go. I cried and cried; feeling so blessed to have had you so long, but not knowing how I was ever going to be able to leave your side. The Absolute Hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life was lift you into Daddy's arms and watch him carry you downstairs...knowing I would not get to hold you again for a very very long time. Daddy was so strong! He gave your little broken body to two nice men in suits and watched you drive away from our home. Daddy did something I never could have done. He came back up to me and collapsed as my feet, so heartbroken...and so grateful that you were our daughter. We held each other and cried with happiness for hours.
Around Midnight, a knock at the door revealed a display of lovingly lit candles and a picture of our family.
OUR FOREVER FAMILY

1 comment:

  1. Karen, thank you so much for posting this. I am in complete and utter tears. What a beautiful, beautiful story...Miah reminds me that we ARE eternal families.

    Rachel Pickup

    ReplyDelete