Friday, October 23, 2009

Thursday the Fifthteenth

I went into the hospital with a racing heartbeat of 140 bpm. The doctors couldn't figure out if it was my heart or yours that they were hearing. They told me that you might have died in my tummy and that only my heartbeat was left. I was scared...the heartbeat jumped to 180 and, again, one single beat. An ultrasound was taken and the doctors found you wiggling with your heart still beating. You and I were perfectly synchronized...me worrying about you, and then you worrying about me. Once we knew that we were both OK, the one heartbeat split into two, mine at 90 and yours at 130.
As they wheeled mommy into the prep room for our surgery, I became very very scared again. I wasn't prepared to loose you already. I needed just one more day, or one more week to be with you. Daddy laid me down and gave me a blessing and, in it, he said that you were very loved. He reminded that many people were fasting and praying at that very moment. The miracle that I didn't have the strength to hope for, was believed in by so many faithful people. I immediately felt that power and peace and fell asleep.
The surgery was silent and peaceful. You did not cry. But you took a breath- one quiet, determined, little breath all by yourself. The doctors lifted you up so I could see you, and I was enchanted by your beauty. They put you in daddy's arms, then mine...and we sobbed together in one of the most happy moment of our lives- stroking your cheeks, kissing your forehead, watching your chest rise and fall. Daddy's surgical mask was completely drenched in tears, and snot from his nose was leaking out the bottom onto his shirt. The doctor said to mommy, "Well Karren, it looks like you got everything you've ever wanted". It is true, the windows of heaven were opened, and blessings poured out, and there was barely enough room to receive them.
You were soon greeted by your Grandpa Vern, Gramma Karol, Grandma and Grandpa Wilde, Sister Sonya, and our special friend Karen. Sonya was THRILLED to meet you, and called you "MY BABY". You were given countless kisses. No one wanted to let you go. At one point, we unwrapped you to look at your beautiful body. Daddy began to count your fingers and toes, and laughed out load- 11 fingers and 10 toes!! You had the cutest little extra thumb!
Shortly after everyone left, you almost died. Daddy and I held you close and thanked you for staying long enough to be loved by your family. We cried and the nurse, Blanche, cried with us. But then, you came back to us....taking in a deep breath, your heart beat faster and you wiggled. I proudly held you, my sweet perfect pink girl, as they wheeled us into the Maternity ward. I did not let you go or take my eyes off of you for one moment all night. I kissed you over and over, whispering I love yous in your ear. You opened your eyes and cooed 'I love yous' back. I am still so desperately in love with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment